It's that time of year again--where we stand up and run for the cure!
That's right--it's time for the 20th Annual Susan G. Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure®!
When: Saturday, October 19, 2013
Where: Family Circle Cup, Daniel Island, South Carolina
How much: Visit http://www.komenlowcountry.org/komen-race-for-the-cure for more details on dates and fees.
Wednesday, October 16th - Online registration ends @ noon
Thursday, October 17th - Sponsor booth setup noon–7 p.m.
Friday, October 18th - In-person registration / pickup, expo open from 9 a.m.–6 p.m.
7:00 a.m. Expo, Sponsor Village, and Survivor Tent Open
8:00 a.m. Survivor Celebration
8:30 a.m. Fun Run/Walk
9:15 a.m. 5k Run Timed
10:00 a.m. Awards Ceremony
(No rollerblades or pets, please. Strollers, please line up at the back.)
According to the Komen website, 75% of what you pay or raise stays in the Lowcountry service area to provide “breast health education, screening and diagnostics, and survivor support services.” The remaining 25% supports Komen’s national programs.
In 2012, the Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure® raised over $800,000. This year, the goal is a million dollars, and they need your help. (While your registration fee is not tax deductible, anything additional you donate is.)
If you’d rather Sleep In for the Cure, visit this link to register:
A brief history of the Race for the Cure® from the Lowcountry website:
“Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body, and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. Moved by Susan’s compassion for others and commitment to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer.
Though Susan lost her battle with the disease, her legacy lives on through the work of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the organization Nancy started in her honor.
The Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure—along with those who generously support us with their talent, time, and resources—is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in our community. We join more than 100,000 breast cancer survivors and activists around the globe as part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure®, we have invested more than $5.5 million in local breast health and breast cancer awareness projects in 17 counties.”
Click here to join us on the 19th!