The below question is answered by breast surgeon, Dr. Richard M. Kline Jr., M.D. of The Center for Natural Breast Reconstruction.Is it reasonable to consider DIEP surgery in Charleston, S.C. when I live in Savannah, Georgia? How long after DIEP surgery before I can travel home to Savannah, GA.? Furthermore, during post- op course how often would I have to travel back to Charleston?
We've had patients come from as far as California and Washington state, so I think it's very reasonable to consider coming from Savannah. We need to see you the day before surgery, the hospital stay is typically 4 days, and ideally you'd stay in town
2-3 more days. If you have a local plastic surgeon who is supportive of you traveling for surgery and can help with some of the aftercare, that would be very useful. I'd be happy to discuss things with you in more detail by phone, or our nurse Chris or PA Kim can talk to you, if you wish.
Have a great day!
Center for Natural Breast Reconstruction
American Cancer Society Hope Lodge Carol Grotnes Belk Campus—Charleston
We have had several of our out of town patients recover at the ACS Hope Lodge downtown.
What does the Hope Lodge facility offer guests?
[caption id="attachment_3099" align="alignright" width="300"]
Image Above Taken From: www.cancer.org[/caption]
- Guest rooms with private baths
- Telephones and televisions with cable and DVD players in each room
- Large kitchens furnished with appliances, dishes, utensils and individual shelf space for each suite
- Guest computers with Internet access for laptops
- Free transportation to guests provided through the hospitals
- Common areas with games, books and magazines
- Educational materials for guests in a Cancer Resource Center
- Encouragement from staff, volunteers and other guests
- A healing garden with a patio and large screened in porch
- A handicap elevator from the parking lot, as well as an elevator inside the Hope Lodge
For more information on the Charleston ACS Hope Lodge and to see if you qualify as a guest visit their website
Have questions for our surgeons? Submit your questions today and get answers straight form our surgical team! No matter where you are in your reconstruction process, we are here to help!