In just a few days, we’ll be celebrating the unofficial end of summer, also known as Labor Day weekend. One of the most popular ways to say goodbye to the summer months—and celebrate the American Labor Movement--is to host a Labor Day picnic or family BBQ
No gathering with family and friends is complete without dessert, so today, we’re suggesting some of our favorite fresh and fruity dessert recipes that are sure to please anybody’s taste buds.
Give them a try and let us know what you think!
Strawberry Pie Recipe
Pie is a classic and beloved American dessert and for good reason. It can be made ahead of time, is easy to throw together, and can be transported from your kitchen to any event. While there are many different types of pies you can make, we thought this recipe, featuring juicy summer strawberries is perfect for a summer picnic.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1.Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell.
2. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving.
5. In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15836/strawberry-pie-ii/
Blueberry Cobbler Recipe
We hope the only end of the summer blues you have this year are the blueberries in this delicious blueberry cobbler recipe. This 5-ingredient cobbler is easy to whip up in a pinch and travels well in a baking dish. Top it off with a little vanilla ice cream when you get to your picnic, and you’ll be in cobbler heaven!
- 6 tbs. butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups Original Bisquick mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour melted butter into 8 or 9-inch square baking dish.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together Bisquick mix, sugar, and milk; pour over melted butter.
3. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over Bisquick batter. Bake 42 to 47 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Recipe Source: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/blueberry-cobbler/081e1713-454d-4d2d-a54d-7ea9579d29b2
Fruit Pizza Recipe
You just can’t go wrong with pizza…especially dessert pizza. This tasty treat is light, fresh, and completely customizable. Follow the recipe to a “t” or pick and choose your own dessert pizza toppings. With a sweet cookie crust and a mix of fresh summer fruits and berries, we can guarantee that this fruity dessert will be a crowd pleaser.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Mix in egg. combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Press dough into an ungreased pizza pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool.
4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until light. Spread on cooled crust.
5. Arrange desired fruit on top of filling, and chill.
Recipe Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12604/fruit-pizza-i/
Do you have a favorite fruity dessert recipe? Share it with us in the comments below!